In the special 100th episode, Raven just wants some peace and quiet for once, and accidentally makes a magical deal with the Whisperer that eliminates all sounds.
The episode begins with the Titans doing noisy things in the kitchen as Raven enters, surprised at what looks like Beast Boy doing the dishes. It turns out he is starting a "dish band", asks Raven if she will join. Raven refuses to join due to the fact that the Titans were being loud, and she retreats to her room. She begins to get annoyed because she can hear the rest of the Titans from her room. She says she will do anything for silence, then discovers a creature called "The Whisperer", who has the ability to eliminate sounds. Raven makes a deal in exchange for a tummy tickles. The Whisperer then removes all sounds and traps them in a magic box. She tells Raven she hopes she'll enjoy the silence and leaves without a sound. As Raven listens to the silence she falls asleep.
Meanwhile, the rest of the Titans freak out because of the lack of sound and they cannot do their dish band. They quickly run over to Raven who cannot hear them until Robin slaps her book out of her hands and tries to ask "What?". She theorizes that all sound from the world has been removed and the Titans continue trying to produce sound. She orders them to stop whereupon they spot the Whisperer playing the piano. She asks Raven if she's enjoying the silence she wished for, causing the Titans to glare at her. The Whisperer explains that removing sound was her evil plan for eons so that she can finally be heard. She further states that all she needed was a half-demon to give her tummy tickles which Raven did. The Titans try talking to the Whisperer, but she grows frustrated and asks that they write it down. Raven writes "Azarath Metrion Zinthos" on the paper and the Whisperer reads it out loud, allowing the Titans to speak once more.
Raven says that while the rest of the world may be silent, at least the Titans have their voices back. She sees the Titans making loud noises and admits that she immediately regrets it. The Whisperer says she should as silence is the best and has now ruined it before departing. Robin chides Raven for removing sound from the world, but she claims it was a good deal at the time. Cyborg and Starfire wonder if they'll never hear squeaky hinges and kitties, respectively. Raven says that if the Titans weren't so loud all the time, then she wouldn't have made the deal. Beast Boy says it's fine as one good thing came out of a world with no sound. The Titans immediately realize he farted and begin retching in disgust.
That night, Cyborg shows the Titans a spring that he flicks only for it to boing in his voice. Robin says that Cyborg was saying the sound effect, but he show them again with his mouth shut. He explains that he was in his room missing sound and began to create his own sound effects. After a while, it began saying the sound effect on its own. Raven says that's amazing and Robin agrees, but asks Cyborg to perform a water sprinkler and Starfire suggests he mimics a bullfrog. Raven explains that she meant it was amazing that the sound effect he made latched itself onto the object and theorizes that the Whisperer created a sound vacuum in which they can assign their own sounds. As such, the Titans begin adding their own sound effects, but things sound different as Beast Boy replaced punch noises with farts and turkey noises replaced farts. Robin tells them to listen to the world of sounds they created, but Cyborg and Starfire admit they don't like it.
Raven says that the only thing to do is to travel to the Whisperer and force her to release the world's sounds. They cross a swamp and Beast Boy, Cyborg, and Robin are attacked by crocodiles as Raven and Starfire float past them. While crossing the mountain, they hear a meow and Beast Boy decides to say hi to the kitten. However, the kitten is actually a giant monster, and it attacks Beast Boy. Starfire apologizes for making monsters sound like kittens and the other Titans attack it, making fart noises. Beast Boy laughs, but is hit by one of the monster's punches.
The Titans enter the Whisperer's mountain and see the green box in the center of a platform. They head to the box, but when Raven tries to grab it, it vanishes. The Whisperer unveils herself and says that since the sound effects the Titans made are so bad, it would encourage people to stay quiet. Raven says that the one thing about the Titans is that they are loud and proud and orders them to hit it. Cyborg hands the Titans their dishes and begin performing as the dish band. The Whisperer says that they're so terrible and worse than before and gives them back the sounds. Raven unleashes the sound back into the world, fixing the sound effects. She admits that she was wrong for thinking she wanted silence, but says that all the sound effects made it back to their proper places. Beast Boy says not all of them and farts, which emits turkey sounds. The Titans retch in disgust and Cyborg yells at Beast Boy to warn somebody.
- This is the one hundredth (100) episode of the series, known as a milestone episode.
- This episode aired one year after "Money Grandma".
- This episode has the second longest title in the series, with 34 letters. It was eventually surpassed by Hey You, Don't Forget about Me in Your Memory by 1 letter.
- The title of this episode is a real life reference to Rob McIntyre, who actually works in the sound department of Teen Titans Go!
- The episode was celebrated by Cartoon Network, when they aired every episode that had been aired at that point, leading up to the episode's premiere.
- The footage of this being the 100th episode is never seen or acknowledged in the actual episode.
- This is the third episode where a Titan makes a magical/supernatural deal with someone, which ends up being a mistake. ("Puppets, Whaaaaat?", "Halloween")
- This is also the second time that Raven has done so ("Halloween").
- The Titans being loud to Raven contracts "Campfire Stories", where she said in her story that the Elf, the Tin Man, the Princess, and the Hyena made the creature disturbed, and all the people in her the story were meant to be them.
- Starfire's fondness of cats appears for the fourth time. ("Dreams", "Caramel Apples", "Multiple Trick Pony")
- When the Titans can't hear, the screen shows old titles, similar to the ones silent films would have way back in the early 1900's, to understand what they're saying.
- Robin using an English accent while singing "Bring on the Night" is probably a reference to British rock bands that were popular in the 1960's and 1970's.
- The sound effect Starfire makes for Silkie is "Hey, hey, hey!", which references Fat Albert's catchphrase from the 1970's cartoon, Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids.
- The title of this episode may be a reference to the show 2 Broke Girls, which has every episode title start with the word "And".
- When the Whisperer says "Enjoy the Silence", it can be seen as a reference to the Depeche Mode song of the same name from their 1990 album "Violator".
- The plot Raven wanted the Whisperer to eliminate the sounds has a similar plot to The Fairly OddParents episode "Pipe Down!" when Timmy Turner wishes to remove all sounds. Both were voiced by Tara Strong.
- In this episode and “Salty Codgers” Raven states she doesn't have a soul, despite her turning into a ghost in "Ghostboy" and "Hot Garbage", and Robin selling her soul to the Puppet Wizard in "Puppets, Whaaaaat?"
- When Cyborg shows the Titans the spring noise he manages to assign to the spring, he says that he had to make the noise for a while before it actually stuck. However, when the Titans are going around creating noises for other things, they only seem to need to make the noise once before it sticks.
- When Beast Boy is attacked by the cat monster, his face is injured and his right eye swells purple, but when the Titans enter The Whisperer's Cave, he looks unharmed.
- When the Titans restore sound to the rest of the world, farts, for some unknown reason, do not change, although that may have been purposeful for comedic reasons.
- Beast Boy doing a "Silent but Deadly."
- Punches making fart noises.
- Farts making turkey noises.
- Silkie going "Hey, hey, hey!"
- Dolphin going "Booyah, booyah, booyah!"
- The Titans making sounds by using their voices.
The transcript for "And the Award for Sound Design Goes to Rob" can be found here.
|The image gallery for And the Award for Sound Design Goes to Rob may be viewed here.|