Santa Claus and Robin must stop the nefarious Coal Miner.
The narrator introduces the two main characters, Kris Kringle (Santa Claus) and his ward, Dick Grayson. They are making presents in the Kringle Manor, North Pole. Robin shows Santa his perfect gift wrap, but Santa notices the sloppy handle of the tape, and is unhappy. Santa tells Robin that a lack of precision today becomes a life in the dumpster tomorrow, and proceeds to chuck the gift wrap in the fireplace. Robin says he will get it right next time, and at the same time, a gift smashes through the window and hits Robin. The gift is for Santa and Robin asks Santa to open it, but Santa whacks Robin several times with a newspaper. Santa thinks it's highly unusual for HIM to receive a Christmas gift. Nevertheless, Robin opens the gift and finds a lump of coal. Who would give Kris Kringle coal as a gift? Santa slaps Robin and tells it's not a gift, but rather a message. Robin and Santa know that it's the Coal Miner who delivered the gift. Robin asks what's the message of coal, and Santa says it's for the naughty people. They only know one particular group of naughty people: the Teen Titans. They rush to the Claus Caves and power the reindeer and sleigh. They fly away, setting course for Jump City, 6000 miles away.
Meanwhile, at the Titans Tower, the Titans are opening their Christmas gifts. Beast Boy opens his gift and finds vegan cheese. Beast Boy is happy and thanks Kris Kringle, but Starfire reveals that she is the one who gave him the gift. Raven pulls out Star's name from a hat and tells her that it's her turn. Starfire chooses to steal the cheese from Beast Boy, and Beast Boy starts crying. Cyborg laughs and reminds him that is how the Kris Kringle game works. Beast Boy gets mad and steals the toy train from Cyborg, saying that rules be rules. Raven agrees, and now since it's her turn now, she steals the cheese from Star. The Titans start fighting over the cheese like little kids. Suddenly, a minecart of coal smashes through the window. The Coal Miner pops out of the coal and calls his coworkers to seize the Titans. The Coal Miner laughs and says that the only present they're getting is coal, and proceeds to steal the toy train. Suddenly, a bag of gifts smashes through the other window, and Santa Claus and Robin pop out, demanding to hand over the garbage bits, but Coal Miner refuses. Coal Miner says he won't stop until he kidnaps all the naughty children in the world and put them to work in his coal mine. Santa asks if Coal Miner is still upset that he never got a present when he was little, and Coal Miner says that all he ever got was coal, but now he realizes it has value, making it the ultimate form of clean energy. The Coal Miner guards proceed to fight Santa Claus and Robin. Coal Miner grabs the apprehended Titans and flees. Santa Claus tells Robin that diamonds come from coal, so they go the diamond exchange.
Robin and Santa use a rope to climb a skyscraper that houses the diamond exchange. Robin says that going through the front door is a lot easier, but Santa says exercise is good for you. At the top, they open a secret hatch and jump in, only to face Coal Miner and his guards. Coal Miner pulls a level and a hatch opens underneath Santa and Robin, and they fall into a diamond crusher. The walls around them get closer, ready for them to get crushed. Both of them try to stop the walls from coming closer together, but their strength was to no avail. Santa asks if Robin has the nutcracker he gave him for a gift last Christmas, and Robin has it and pulls the nutcracker out of his shorts. Robin throws the nutcracker which causes the gears to become stuck. The walls are stopped, and both of them are saved. They leave the diamond exchange and head for the coal mine to see if the Coal Miner is there.
At the coal mine, they see the Titans mining coal, looking tired and dirty. Robin says that will get them out of there, but the Titans are mad that it took them long enough to save them. At the end of the tunnel, Coal Miner introduces his Super Choo-Choo, a giant carbon capture train. He powers it and yells, 'ALL ABOARD' and the train starts heading towards the Titans and Santa. Santa proceeds to chuck lumps of coal into the carbon capture chute, and even chucks Robin at it. The train explodes, and Coal Miner is defeated.
Thanks to them, the Titans are home safe and sound, and Robin and Santa are back in their manor. Robin points out the window and observes the Santa-Signal. Santa rants that they're the only ones who won't get a holiday this year, and they go to the Claus Cave to deliver presents.
- Silver Age Robin
- Beast Boy
- Santa Claus
- Coal Miner (debut)
- Coal Guardians (debut)
- Narrator (debut)
- This is the last episode to premiere in 2019, as well as the final episode to air in the 2010s decade.
- This is the fifth episode to premiere on a Saturday.
- This is the first time Robin is unmasked without the appearance of his parasite twin, which he got surgically removed.
- Obviously, Dick Grayson could have been hurt during surgery.
- In the end, the narrator says that this episode continues next Christmas, but it is unknown if it will actually be another Christmas episode.
- This episode can be considered as being set in a non-canon alternate universe as Robin was trained by Santa instead of Batman and therefore never became the Titans' leader. Also, the interior and exterior of the Titans Tower are different than usual in this episode.
- The entire episode is a tribute-parody to the 1966 Batman TV series.
- The train of the Coal Miner is based on Thomas the Tank Engine.
- When Robin takes off his mask, his parasitic twin does not appear, which he got surgically removed. However, this episode is considered non-canon.
- Coal Miner is indeed wrong about coal being clean energy since coal is one of the primary reasons for climate change.
- Therefore, Santa is right about renewable energy is part of our future.
- Santa insulting Robin.
- Santa hurting Robin.
- Santa examines that he thinks there's no such thing as "clean coal".
The transcript for "Christmas Crusaders" can be viewed here.
|The image gallery for Christmas Crusaders may be viewed here.|