- You see, this weapon was designed to destroy five people at a time...you two understand?
Doctor Light is a scientist and money-loving crook who frequently commits crimes, such as bank robbery or stealing valuables from museums. His powers revolve around the generation and manipulation of light that come from his suit.He says that he got his name by a little trick he used to show his mother as of in Caged Tiger
In "Staff Meeting", he had a brief cameo where he was the test villain for Robin's broken staff. The staff was so pathetic, it inflicted no pain on Doctor Light whatsoever. Doctor Light begins to laugh, and blast Robin with a light beam, easily defeating him.
In "Colors of Raven", Doctor Light attempted to steal a magical prism from a museum. The Teen Titans arrive, and use their witty one-liners on him as they attack. Doctor Light was able to defeat Cyborg, Starfire, and Beast Boy in combat. Thinking he won, Doctor Light let his guard down, whenRaven suddenly appears behind him and teleports him to prison.
In "Artful Dodgers", he is briefly seen on a team called the "Fluorescent Force". However, nobody from his team is seen but him. Team Titans easily defeats his team.
In "Caged Tiger", he made his first lengthy appearance. Doctor Light attempted to destroy the Titans with his light cannon, but when only Starfire and Raven showed up, he insisted that they wait until the other Titans arrive to fight him. During their wait, Doctor Light befriends them, and begins to bond with the girls. Near the end, Doctor Light decides to make a change to the good side and join the Teen Titans. Before the girls have a chance to explain his transition to the other Titans, they arrive and nearly kill Doctor Light. The nearly-dead Doctor Light swears revenge against them and remains a villain.
In "I See You", Starfire (in disguise as an elderly man name Jeff) continually finds various crystals from around the city. Starfire (followed by Robin) is able to trace their source to Doctor Light's new hideout. Doctor Light tries to explain to Robin and "Jeff" that he is not up to any evil activity, but rather, he is making chandeliers and the art of light. Doctor Light also explains that the pain he suffers from his continual defeats drove him to express himself artistically through chandelier making. Though he is easily able to convince Robin, Jeff is still suspicious, and stumbles upon Doctor Light's secret plans: to unleash "chandelier death rays" upon Jump City. Jeff shoots a beam onto one of the chandeliers' support ropes, which causes it to fall on top of Doctor Light. Doctor Light is barely able to crawl out from under the wreckage, and yells "You'll pay for this, Jeff!".
In "Lication", Doctor Light approaches the tower garage and is ready to take the R-Cycle, only to face the brutal beating from Cyborg, Beast Boy and the female Titans. However, it later turns out that Robin has rented the motorcycle for him and he is going to return it by five if he doesn't want a late fee. Due to being gravely wounded, he can't properly operate the motorcycle and ends up getting crashed.
In "Walk Away", Doctor Light appears to have given up villainy and becomes a second-handed car dealer, even having his own charity fund. Unfortunately, owing to Robin's distrust towards him and even threatening him through driving the Joker Car reckless as well as activating the forbidden button which turns it into a destructive gacha robot, he not only has lost his job but also his life.
Like in the original series, Doctor Light is portrayed as a fairly goofy and incompetent character. Despite this, he is a skilled enough combatant to defeat three out of five of the Titans, although they were defeated mainly because they were focusing on making one-liners instead of actually fighting him.
Nonetheless, there have been moments that he had a change of heart, such as when he wanted to join the Titans for good in "Caged Tiger", and when he decided to be a second-handed car dealer who does a good cause in "Walk Away". Unfortunately, all these attempts of redeeming himself have all been thwarted by the Titans (mainly Robin).
Powers and Abilities
- Light-Beams: Doctor Light can shoot deadly beams of light out of his hands and from the logo on his chest.
- Inventing: Doctor Light built a gigantic light cannon to destroy the Titans
- Light Shield projection: Doctor Light can create a light shield to defend himself.
- Light bulb trick: He can switch on light in his different body parts like his Mother showed him.
Doctor Light is a tall and muscular man with a black beard, muscular build, broad shoulders and wears a black jumpsuit with a light-bulb printed on the front of it, as well as a dark helmet with silver stripes that covers most of his head and silver finger less gloves.
- Staff Meeting (debut, cameo)
- Artful Dodgers (cameo)
- Colors of Raven
- Caged Tiger
- Legs (cameo)
- Real Magic (cameo)
- Cat's Fancy (mentioned)
- I'm the Sauce (cameo)
- Hey You, Don't Forget about Me in Your Memory (cameo)
- The True Meaning of Christmas (cameo)
- Animals, It's Just A Word! (cameo)
- Black Friday (cameo)
- Pyramid Scheme (cameo)
- Finally a Lesson (cameo)
- The Titans Show (cameo)
- Who's Laughing Now (cameo)
- Teen Titans Go! to the Movies (cameo)
- Doctor Light is the second most recurring villain, right after the H.I.V.E. Five.
- In "Caged Tiger" and "I See You", Doctor Light is voiced by his returning voice actor from the original series, Rodger Bumpass. In "Colors of Raven", however, he is voiced by Scott Menville. This is likely due to the fact that Doctor Light spoke only one word, "Titans", in the episode. Thus, it would be a waste of money for the studio to hire Bumpass to come and speak only one word.
- He was also in the game Drive-By Meatball Party as one of the passing by villains.
- In "Caged Tiger", his real name is revealed to be Arthur Light.
- Doctor Light considered turning good and fighting crime after becoming friends with Raven and Starfire, but the male Titans beat him to a pulp, injuring him severely because they still thought he was a threat, and thus making him return to his villainous ways.
- In the original series, Doctor Light was afraid of Raven after an incident which nearly killed him.
- He is the tenth villain from the original series to return.
- Doctor Light can be seen attending Starfire's wedding in "Nean", showing that he might still care about her as a friend.
- In the comics, Doctor Light actually became a hero at one point and was a member of the Justice League International.
- He lacks any sort of appearance in Season 5.
Voice in other languages
- Vilmos Papucsek, Zsolt Sarádi, Gábor Varga (Hungarian)
- ? (Italian)
- Sorin Ionescu (Romanian)
- Przemysław Nikiel (Polish)
- Samir Murad (Brazil)
- Pierre Laurent (French)
|The image gallery for Doctor Light may be viewed here.|