It's summertime! The Titans head down to Superhero Summer Camp, ready for some fun activities. But for Robin, fun is only an afterthought... his primary goal is for the Titans to dominate the canoe race this year. He's already set the stage by poisoning the Titans East team with poop yogurt. So Robin's quite surprised when Bumblebee shows up, eager to jump in with the Titans. Her bee transformation powers are decent, but she's not unethical/disgusting enough to fit in with the team. So Robin shuns her.
As the start of the race approaches, the H.I.V.E.'s getting real cocky about victory. Beast Boy worries about losing to them again, but luckily, Robin has a plan: they'll be swashbuckling pirates! This way, the Titans can forget about the rules and rob their way to triumph. Robin tries to sell them the idea with a pirate ship, but the Titans aren't on board—they'd rather recruit Bumblebee to the team instead. So Robin proceeds to lecture them on team roles, arguing that the current format is best. The Titans fundamentally disagree, but Robin gets his way as usual. Bumblebee tries to join again, but Robin slaps the little bee away. It's canoe racing time!
Once Batman starts the race, the Titans instantly plow through the competition with their massive pirate ship. Everything is shipshape when Raven suddenly spots Bumblebee canoeing starboard side. Without hesitation, Robin takes her out with a rock. The Titans aren't too happy with him, but Starfire notices a new problem.... the ship's ran into trees, and now the other boat teams are passing them. Thankfully, Bumblebee returns with a chainsaw and cuts them free. Despite this, Robin is horrified by the idea of a six-Titan team, so he smacks her away again.
The buccaneers make an outstanding comeback, smashing into competitors and blowing the competition out of the water. Literally, with cannonballs. After making the H.I.V.E. walk the plank, the team enjoys a nice drink, that is until a huge bear suddenly ravages them. Bumblebee rescues them with a swarm of bees, but the H.I.V.E. has regained the lead, and the Titans... have given up. Bumblebee hasn't, though; with an inspiring speech of teamwork, she rallies the heroes back to the race. Cyborg's booster engines alone aren't enough to catch up, though, so Bumblebee shoots a honey-filled hive at the H.I.V.E. Three bears immediately pounce on them, and they run off a waterfall...
And the Titans win! The team thanks Bumblebee for all her help, and Robin, impressed by her degenerate cheating, even allows her to join the Titans. The new team of six start dancing like they're on the TV show Friends, but some ravenous bears interrupt their merriment.
- Kilowog (speaking debut)
- Detective Chimp
- Swamp Thing
- Miss Martian
- Power Girl
- Kid Flash
- The Wonder Twins
- Booster Gold
- Animal Man
- Jonah Hex
- Red Tornado
- In this episode, a sixth Titan, Bumblebee, was added to the team. Therefore, this would be the first time the Titans had 6 members. This would last all the way to "The Viewers Decide".
- During the episode, Robin breaks the fourth wall when he questions whether the series really needs another character to keep things interesting. This is likely the reason why Bumblebee was introduced; long-running series sometimes add a new character to keep audiences coming back, such as The Fairly OddParents! did with Poof, Sparky, and Chloe.
- Despite Batgirl’s appearance in this episode, she doesn’t appear for the rest of the Super Summer Hero Camp arc.
- Bumblebee receives a redesign in this episode.
- Not counting her one-worded line in "Costume Contest", this marks the first episode in which Bumblebee has any lines.
- She is voiced by Ozioma Akagha, replacing T'Keyah Keymah (her voice actress from the original series) for the role.
- The animation style in the new summer intro for the show was used in the Island Adventures mini-series.
- Despite being a superhero summer camp, the H.I.V.E. are allowed there.
- The camp is full of logos and items belonging to the Justice League, probably because they are running the show (later in the episode, Batman is seen using his grappling gun to start the race).
- Starfire is revealed to have owned a DCUbook account in this episode.
- Robin assigns the same stereotypical roles to the Titans as he did in "Hey You, Don't Forget about Me in Your Memory."
- The pirate costumes that the Titans wore in the Season 4 episode "BL4Z3" are seen again.
- Raven is seen unhooded for the 95th time.
- This is the third time Raven being referred as the "basket case" by Robin. The first two times are in "Laundry Day" and "Hey You, Don't Forget about Me in Your Memory"
- This is the second time Beast Boy is being labelled as the nerd since "Hey You, Don't Forget about Me in Your Memory".
- The song segment right before the episode conclusion is a reference to the sitcom Friends.
- During his rant on teams of six, Robin makes a few references to different movies and teams in popular culture: ¡Three Amigos!, Ghostbusters, the Spice Girls, the Seven Dwarfs, and nine ladies dancing (from the Twelve Days of Christmas song).
- Robin and Cyborg briefly entertain the idea of being Judd Nelson, an American actor.
- One of Bumblebee's outfits, which consists of a yellow bodysuit and helmet, is probably a mash of her comic counterpart's older design and the outfit of the Marvel heroine The Wasp.
- When being pirates, the Titans were imitating the way that the pirates behave in the film series Pirates of the Caribbean.
- In the promo for this episode, Raven's skin tone is Caucasian instead of white, and Robin's boot sole is green instead of gray.
- Robin's claim on "no team is good on having a sixth member" is wrong, as there are other shows such as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic having a cast of six.
- Bumblebee gets rejected/slapped away by Robin repeatedly.
- Kilowog rips off his uniform in tremendous joy and shouts out the words written on his bare chest.
- Characters get attacked by bears.
- Bumblebee trying to get Robin to accept her onto the team.
- Bumblebee using her powers to help the Titans win the competition.
The transcript for "Forest Pirates" can be found here.
|The image gallery for Forest Pirates may be viewed here.|