After a fight with Mother Mae-Eye, Cyborg starts talking like his grandma used too, and it slowly consumes his own personality... he eventually becomes a full-fledged overly caring grandma of the Titans.
The episode begins with the Titans trying to take down Mother Mae-Eye in downtown Jump City. She attacks them all with her granny-themed attacks until Cyborg claims that his grandma was even better. Cyborg demonstrates by mimicking her voice with some attitude. After firing a few sonic blasts at Mother May-Eye, she finally retreats off into the street. Starfire and the others tell Cyborg his voice imitation is pretty funny, and Cyborg smiles appreciatively.
Back at Titans Tower, the other Titans have enough of Cyborg's "Grandma Voice," as he's been speaking like her up to the main lobby. Cyborg does not take a hint and continues being "grandma." He claims that he can't stop speaking the voice for some reason. Raven punches him in aggravation, which temporarily puts an end to it.
The next morning, the Titans are aghast when they see Cyborg dressed up as his grandmother with a wig and apron, cooking waffles. Robin, in a state of shock, tells Cyborg to knock it off already. But Cyborg thinks that's too much sass and slaps some sense into him. Avoiding Robin's fate, the Titans start to accept Cyborg as a grandma; they eventually get used to living with her after doing house chores while playing music and dancing. Grandma Cyborg makes sweaters for them as a reward for helping her, and Robin admits that he likes her too (for now).
A while later, Beast Boy is in his room playing video games. Unfortunately, he is interrupted by Grandma (Cyborg), claiming that he has homework to do. Beast Boy argues that he doesn't even go to school, but it is useless to resist, as resisting equals sassing. Starfire and Raven were about to leave the living room, but they being stopped by Grandma because of Starfire's outfit showing "too much skin." (Robin is open to it though). Grandma slaps some sense into him, but Starfire thinks it was a little too abrasive since he crashed out through the windows. Raven's amused, but she can't laugh, as it would be considered sassy. She was all free from sass, according to Grandma's state-of-the-art Sass Detector.
After Grandma Cyborg leaves, the Titans assemble to come up with a plan that will bring Cyborg back to his normal self. After all, Grandma has gotten way too abrasive with her care for them. Raven points out that they can't hit old people, and Robin counters that "she" isn't even she, and especially not old. They hatch a plan, which involves surrendering to one of Mother Mae-Eye's traps voluntarily; they are stuck in a pie-making machine to lure Grandma to save them. During the Grandma Fight between Mother Mae-Eye and Grandma Cyborg, they use attacks like finger wags and use ladles and rollers to hit each other. Grandma gets some sense whacked into him by a dough roller, and all of a sudden, the blue spirit of Grandma Voice leaves his body and shortly waves goodbye. Cyborg has returned... Mother Mae-Eye tries to escape after being easily defeated by the more agile Cyborg, and as she's floating away, Cyborg nonchalantly shoots her with his laser fist. Cyborg gets to rescue the Titans, with Beastie having eaten too many pies.
Back at the Tower, Cyborg weeps at the loss of his special grandma voice. After all, she was part of his soul. But Beast Boy claims that she will be always with them in their memories. He puts on the dancing song, and the Titans break down dancing like they do all the time. Even Grandma Voice gets in on the dance at its tombstone outside of the Tower.
- This is the last episode of Season 1 to be produced, but not the last one in airing order.
- This is the second appearance of Mother Mae-Eye, with Billie Hayes reprising her role as Mother Mae-Eye from the original series.
- This is Mother Mae-Eye's only speaking appearance in the show thus far, as well as the last time Hayes voiced her before retiring in 2016 and her death on April 29, 2021.
- This episode aired a year after "Driver's Ed" and "Dog Hand."
- Cyborg's grandma voice is Roz Ryan, who is known for voicing many animated characters, including Thalia, one of the five Muses from Disney's Hercules, Bubbie the Whale from The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Cake the Cat from Adventure Time, Witch Lezah from The Looney Tunes Show, and Ms. Fitzpatrick from Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil.
- As seen in this episode's animatic, Cyborg's voice actor (Khary Payton) originally imitated a grandma's voice for the role. Roz Ryan may have replaced Khary Payton at the last second.
- Cyborg's Grandma Voice apparently "dies", as there is a tombstone outside the Titans Tower for her.
- Raven mentions that her grandmother is a succubus.
- Beast Boy plays the same video game he plays in "Driver's Ed", with the same "You are Die" message.
- This is the fourth time Robin falls from Titan Tower. ("Laundry Day", "Tower Power", "Nose Mouth").
- It's also the second time that Cyborg is the one who causes him to fall.
- Mother Mae-Eye's pie-making machine, which first appeared in "Pie Bros", makes a return in this episode.
- The entire episode is a reference to the original series episode, "Mother Mae-Eye", which contains a very similar plot, and Cyborg taking Mother Mae-Eye's place as the Titans' mother.
- Furthermore, Mother Mae-Eye herself appears in this episode, adding yet another reference.
- Starfire actually plays a quick game of "Mother May I?" which is a pun in Mother Mae-Eye's name.
- There is a reference to the band "The Archies" when the Titans play their instruments.
- When Cyborg (in his Grandma's voice) first appears, his dress is light purple. However, when he comments on Raven and Starfire's clothing, it turns pink. It later becomes purple again when he fights with Mother Mae-Eye again.
- Cyborg (in his Grandma Voice) threatening to knock some sense into people.
- Cyborg acting like a Grandma.
The transcript for "Grandma Voice" can be found here.
|The image gallery for Grandma Voice may be viewed here.|