Cyborg and Beast Boy want to get a pizza in over 30 minutes so that their pizza would be free of charge, but the delivery boy is seemingly unstoppable. It is becoming a bit of a challenge, and an all-out war of wits between them starts. Meanwhile, Robin struggles to decide whether to build a senior center or a pool.
It is an immensely hot day, both outside and inside Titans Tower. Beast Boy and Silkie are sweating profusely, so they find something cold to put on themselves, but they end up melting. They then head outside, but it's so hot they can barely move, and they slowly trudge forwards. Beast Boy opens up his umbrella to give him and Silkie some shade, but it catches on fire and smolders into ashes. He then uses a hand fan, but it suffers the same fate, just as Silkie begins to dehydrate. Beast Boy and Silkie take a dip in an inflatable circular portable pool, and Silkie gets re-hydrated. However, the heat boils the water, burning Beast Boy and Silkie, before evaporating altogether.
Raven is watching Cyborg fix the air conditioner. She does it herself, just as Robin walks in. Robin comments on how Cyborg did his job well, and tells the Titans that they are building a Senior Center. However, his opinion changes when Starfire remarks that she purchased a bikini "on the line" and and wants to wear it at a pool, prompting Robin to build the pool. Beast Boy flirtatiously asks Raven (as he wiggles his eyebrows at her) if she is going to buy a bathing suit too. Raven lets him know that her leotard is her bathing suit. Beast Boy scans Raven and her cloak, and calls it "hot".
Cyborg and Beast Boy are watching television when they see an ad for Zippy's Pizza, which tells them that if a delivery takes more than 30 minutes, it's free. They decide to delay the pizza so that they can get it for free. Yet no matter how much they try to delay Zippy, despite robot-sharks, laser barriers, missile barrages, and the fact the tower is 45 minutes away from the Pizzeria, he always gets their in time. They resort to an orbital laser cannon and destroy the place, realizing what they did seconds later only to be relieved when the delivery guy is fine.
Later, at the opening of the Senior Center, when Zippy arrives, an old man tells him that it has been 31 minutes, which means Zippy was late, and therefore he got free pizza. This causes Cyborg and Beast Boy to have a extreme nervous breakdown after their many failed attempts to get free pizza. Robin says he is sorry for not building the pool to Starfire. She says it is alright because she see the seniors are happy, and that she will still model the bikini for him. Robin gets nervous as Starfire goes to a curtain. She comes out in her regular outfit, confusing Robin. It is revealed that she bought it for Silkie, as he wears it and poses, which makes Robin regurgitate as the episode ends.
- Beast Boy
- Jump City Citizens
- Grim Reaper (debut)
- This was the first episode produced.
- This episode aired before "La Larva de Amor" in the UK.
- This is the first time the thermometer has displayed a temperature other than 72-73 °F, being 103 °F in this episode.
- Starfire having no problem with the heat is most likely due to Tamaranians being resistant to weather, as she had no problem with the cold in the original series.
- Raven is only present at the beginning of the episode, but absent for the rest of it. This marks the first time where a main character is absent for that long.
- It's revealed the Titans Tower computers are capable of hacking into the Jump City traffic lights and railway crossings.
- It should be noted the Titans actually have a swimming pool at the base of the island, which is seen in "La Larva de Amor", although it's significantly different than a community pool.
- It is revealed that Silkie enjoys feeding on pizza.
- The title of this episode is based on the catchphrase the delivery man says when he delivered the pizza.
- This is the second episode that had two plots mixed into it, the first one being "La Larva de Amor".
- Beast Boy and Cyborg trying to get free pizza.
- Robin deciding rather he should build a Senior center (because it's the right thing to do) or a community pool (just to see Starfire in a bikini).
- The various places the Titans keep their money is shown in this episode:
- Cyborg has an ATM in his chest.
- Silkie carries money in his stomach.
- Beast Boy has a piggy-bank.
- Robin has a wallet.
- Raven has a chest full of demonic spirits and haunted money.
- The amount of money Beast Boy and Cyborg spend on mounting the defenses to keep out the pizza deliverer would greatly exceed the price of the pizza itself.
- Despite Silkie being male, Starfire bought him a bikini, probably because she didn't know that humans wear those instead of pets. She later wears her swimsuit in "Real Magic", "Two Parter", and "Squash & Stretch", which is a two-piece purple strapless swimsuit, so she seemingly understands by then.
- In the Spanish translation of this episode, Beast Boy describes Raven's "bathing suit" as "sexy" instead of "hot".
- "La Larva de Amor" is Spanish for "the larva of love"
- "Lil Alfred's Toy Cave", the building that the missiles hit, also appeared in "Driver's Ed" when the T-Car crashes into it during the car chase with Robin.
- This is the second time Cyborg's head has been detached from his body. ("Laundry Day")
- When Beast Boy and Cyborg pay for the pizzas, the money has Lex Luthor on it.
- This would mean that Luthor is deceased, as only dead figures are eligible for being on bills. However, it should be remembered that Luthor has immense political power and was probably able to strong-arm the government into putting his face on money.
- A store called "Lil' Alfred's Toy Cave" is blown up by Cyborg's drone in Jump City. This is an obvious nod to Bruce Wayne/Batman's famed butler Alfred Pennyworth. The shop's sign shows Alfred sitting in a mini 1960's era Batmobile. This shop is now known to be a hidden running gag in the series.
- The missiles Beast Boy and Cyborg use to attack the Pizza Delivery Boy resembles "Bullet Bills" from the Super Mario series.
- Raven appeared to dislike being with old people, even though she is shown to love them in "Salty Codgers".
- In the beginning, Raven tells Beast Boy that her cloak is her bathing suit, but in future episodes such as "Two Parter" and "Squash & Stretch", when she goes swimming, she wore a black strapless one-piece swimsuit with a purple line at the top of the trim, so either she was lying or she has something similar.
- In the scene with the pizza timer, it needed one more slice of pizza to be complete. The next scene it needed two more pizzas (which means that Beast Boy and Cyborg wouldn't need to pay for the pizza).
- Cyborg and Beast Boy technically blow up the Zippy's Pizza restaurant, yet in future episodes they order pizza from the same place. It may have been rebuilt since then.
- Even though the Titans have a backyard pool, Beast Boy and Silkie make their own blow-up small pool.
- Even though Cyborg's body is made of wires, when his head got detached from his body, it seemed more like a screw.
- Robin experiencing guilt over his decision not to build the Senior Citizen center, before remembering he wants to see Starfire in a bikini.
- Cyborg and Beast Boy continually ordering pizzas.
- Grim Reaper appearing hidden in many places near the seniors.
The transcript for "Hey Pizza!" can be found here.
|The image gallery for Hey Pizza! may be viewed here.|