Robin infiltrates the H.I.V.E. Tower to destroy it, but instead he is distracted by the H.I.V.E Tower's awesomeness!
The episode begins as Cyborg's day is off to a terrible start. His wake up process malfunctions, the handle on the refrigerator breaks, the microwave oven blows up, the TV screen falls off the wall, and the remote control snaps. Cyborg comments that nothing is working, which leads Raven to warn them to avoid the bathroom. Starfire then enters the bathroom and discovers why. The couch falls to pieces before the floor caves in and the couch plummets through. The Titans decide that they hate their living conditions, but Robin suddenly appears, and warns his teammates of the H.I.V.E. Five's new evil plan. Before he can show them images, the computer breaks, and he pulls out a flip chart. They plan to transform the H.I.V.E. Tower into a giant, deadly, evil space station. Robin explains that his plan is to infiltrate the tower as a villain called Red X. However, the other Titans mistakenly believe Robin is changing his costume, voice, and name. They begin criticizing his old attire, causing Robin to become frustrated and declaring "none of this is permanent". After Robin is asked how he plans on getting the H.I.V.E. to accept him, he explains he'll gain their respect by taking down their strongest member, Mammoth.
Red X arrives at H.I.V.E. Tower, and declares he wants to join their team. Gizmo says that they normally don't handle their recruitment process this way, but he can join anyway. Red X is not paying attention and attacks Mammoth, violently beating him up. The H.I.V.E. winces in horror as they watch their friend get beaten to the ground. Gizmo orders him to stop, telling him that he was already accepted. He then tells him to make himself comfy while the rest of the H.I.V.E. walks away to work on their plan.
Red X enters the reactor core and places his bomb, then sets it for two minutes. He exits the room, and finds Gizmo standing right there. Gizmo asks him if he wants pizza, and tells him that they have a wood-burning oven. Robin quickly runs and sets his bomb for 24 hours. Robin enjoys some freshly made pizza, then returns home.
Back at Titans Tower, the Titans are having cold fish and cold peas for dinner. Cyborg complains, but Starfire tells him he is the one who still hasn't fixed the microwave. Robin returns home, and Raven asks him if he destroyed the Tower. Robin tells them that he hasn't destroyed it yet, but he is gathering information, and will surely do it the next day. Starfire invites him to eat, but he tells her he is full, and that he has already eaten pizza from the H.I.V.E.'s wood burning stove. Cyborg suddenly becomes excited, and comes up with a plan.
The next day at H.I.V.E. Tower, Cyborg (dressed as Stone) burst in, announcing that he wants to join the team. Gizmo tells him that he is in, but Stone decides he wants to prove himself, and violently beats up the team's strongest member, Mammoth. Gizmo angrily orders him to stop, and orders Red X to show him around.
Red X immediately recognizes Stone, and when they walk away starts to lecture him for coming. He gets over it, however, and the two decide to play a game of air hockey while reviewing their plan. They then add more time to the bomb.
Back at Titans Tower, the Titans are very bored, as they have nothing left to do. Beast Boy has no video games to play anymore (because all the TVs are broken) so he has resorted to pulling items out of Silkie's mouth for fun. Red X and Stone return, and tell the others that they are still collecting Intel, and they will destroy the Tower the next day. The others begin to become jealous that both Robin and Cyborg are getting pizza in a nice, fixed up tower while they're eating peas and fish in a broken tower.
The next day, Beast Boy, Raven, and Starfire arrive at the tower dressed as villains, and they called themselves Ravine, Sapphire, and Beast Bob. They ask to join the team, and Gizmo immediately says they're in. The three of them decide to prove themselves, and they all attack Mammoth. Jinx begins to sob for the pain he is suffering. A short time later, all of the Titans really enjoy the tower (and the soda machine) and decide to set the bomb back for forty-seven years.
Later on, the H.I.V.E. finally finishes their upgrades to make the tower a space station. Jinx orders Gizmo to get rid of the new members before they go into space, because they're rude and annoying. Gizmo decides telling them to leave would be too rude, so he would rather blow up the Tower to ditch them and take off in what is left of their battle station.
The H.I.V.E. arrive at the core, only to find that there is already a bomb there. Gizmo sets the bomb for two minutes, but the Titans (still dressed as villains) walk in just in time. The Titans tell them not to blow it up, because they love the tower. Beast Boy's fake sideburns fall off, and the H.I.V.E. recognizes him immediately. Robin shouts "TITANS, GO!", and all of the Titans rip off their disguises, and get ready to fight.
An intense battle breaks out between the Titans and the H.I.V.E., and the H.I.V.E. actually puts up a fight this time. While they fight, the bomb continues to count down. Robin and Gizmo's staffs are locked against each other when they scoot right next to the bomb. They realize there is only three seconds left on the bomb. The two brace themselves for the explosion, and the bomb explodes. The explosion can clearly be seen from space.
Later on, back at Titans Tower, the H.I.V.E. Five have moved in with them, and are being rude and annoying in the same ways that the Titans were back at their tower. The Titans decide that they want to get rid of them, and Robin comes up with the idea of destroying the Tower. Before he can say anything else, the bomb ignites, and the episode ends right as Titans Tower explodes.
- Robin / Red X (debut)
- Cyborg / Stone (debut & only appearance)
- Starfire / Sapphire (debut & only appearance)
- Beast Boy / Beast Bob (debut & only appearance)
- Raven / Ravine (debut & only appearance)
- Billy Numerous
- This episode marks the debut of Robin and Cyborg's villain-aliases of Red X and Stone, respectively.
- This episode reveals that the other Titans believe Robin's traditional outfit is lame, but didn't tell him as not to hurt his feelings.
- This is the first episode in which Mammoth is heard screaming.
- The title is similar to a burger and fries restaurant called "In N Out Burger".
- On the H.I.V.E. Five screen displaying the space tower, the words "H.I.V.E. Project Space Thingy" can be seen.
- Ravine's hoodie is similar to the one that she wears when she sleeps.
- This is the final episode of Season 1 to feature the H.I.V.E. Five.
- This is the twelfth time Cyborg's head has been detached from his body. ("Laundry Day", "Hey Pizza!", "Gorilla", "Tower Power", "Burger vs. Burrito", "Matched", "Books", "Lazy Sunday", "Power Moves", "Second Christmas", "Breakfast Cheese")
- The Riddler question mark is seen again.
- This is the third time Beast Boy reaches inside Silkie to retrieve supplies. ("Hey Pizza!", "Books")
- This is the second time Starfire adopts a villain persona. The first time was in "Starfire the Terrible".
- This is the second episode in which Raven wears glasses. The first was "Super Robin", when she grew older.
- Ravine's outfit has a picture of a Pretty Pretty Pegasus on it, once again referencing her love of the show.
- Raven once again uses her legs for combat, just as she did in "Legs".
- This is the second time that Titans Tower blows up. The first was in "Second Christmas".
- This episode is a reference to the original series' episode "Deception", where Cyborg infiltrates the H.I.V.E. academy in disguise, but becomes conflicted between the lines of a mission and normal life.
- The Titans Tower falling into disrepair may refer back to the first episode of the original series, "Final Exam", when the Titans first begin officially working as a team.
- The couch falling through the floor possibly references the Simpsons couch joke in the episodes "Bart Gets an F", "The Way We Was", and "Blood Feud".
- Beast Boy's villain costume is based on his Changeling costume from the comics, and his new sideburns are based on the Titans Tomorrow story line.
- The villain names Starfire and Raven made up for themselves are real-world references to the gemstone sapphire and a raging river called a ravine, respectively; Beast Boy's evil name, however, is most likely a reference to the Bob clones from the original series episode "Employee of the Month".
- There is a "Man of Steal" arcade game in the gaming room, a reference to the film Man of Steel.
- There is another arcade game titled "Mortal Wombat" in reference to the video game "Mortal Kombat".
- Next to the H.I.V.E.'s soda fountain, there is a poster of Bizarro with the words "Me Am ♥ HIVE Soda".
- When Cyborg falls through the roof and lands on the couch there is debris on the ground, but after switching back from the shot of the TV, the debris has disappeared.
- Robin claims that the H.I.V.E. Tower is on on the other side of town, but when Red X and the HIVE are eating pizza you can see Titans Tower through the window.
- After the H.I.V.E. Tower explodes, Mammoth is shown to have instantly recovered from his injuries.
- When Beast Boy and Cyborg continuously turn their heads while surrounded by Billy Numerous and his clones, Cyborg's human eye and robotic eye switch places at one point for a split second.
- Everything in Titans Tower breaking and malfunctioning.
- The Titans (or at the end, Gizmo) keep talking about simply going "in and out," but usually end up staying for much longer.
- The villainous H.I.V.E.'s allowing outsiders simply to walk in and join the team, with less and less hesitation in each case.
- The Titans' mindlessly beating up Mammoth and Jinx worrying about it.
- The Titans and the H.I.V.E. belching after eating in each other's towers.
The transcript for "In and Out" can be found here.
|The image gallery for In and Out may be viewed here.|