Raven goes away and warns the Titans not to open her box, as something evil lies inside of it. It's revealed that a pair of cute creatures are all that inhabit the box. Starfire falls in love with them, and she soon realizes what Raven's warning was about, but when the love monsters attack, it's up to the Titans-- and the Titan Robot to save the day.
It all starts on a rainy night at the Titans Tower. Robin, Cyborg, and Beast Boy are lying down on the couch due to their sadness of missing the sunshine and because they have nothing else to do. Starfire arrives and offers them her happiness with hugs, making them feel happy again as the rain stopped. Raven comes out of a portal on the floor with a small chest, where Starfire immediately thinks she can show her affection to the chest as well. Raven tells Starfire that not everything is solved with hugs and kisses and warns her and the other Titans that the chest holds the Twin Destroyers of Azarath. She also explains she needs to collect some spell ingredients to banish the monsters back to Azarath, and she cannot bring the chest with her until that happens. Raven leaves the box in Titans' care, with Starfire believing it to be Raven's lunch box. While Raven is gone, Starfire still feels that every moment of despair should be graduate with hugs and kisses, despite Raven warning her not to open the box or show any affection to these creatures, as it would fill their hunger for destruction.
Later on, the Titans are relaxing at the swimming pool along with the box groaning inside with cute noises, making Starfire anxious to reach out and open it, despite the Titans' attempt to stop her. Starfire shows them the Twin Destroyers as they seem to be not harmful and adorable when they were thanking Titans for not sending them back to Azarath. Eventually, the Titans ignored Raven's warning for now as they had fun moments together with the monsters. Afterward, Robin orders them to get back in the box. They start to cry, and he forces Starfire to return them, knowing that showing affection to these Twin Destroyers will be their doom. Before closing them in the box, Starfire kisses the monsters, making them turn into an egg. Raven returns, but when the elevator doors are opening slowly, the other Titans have no choice but to get rid of the egg; Beast Boy throws it out of the window in the ocean. The egg returning to its usual stuff without showing any suspicious activity. But Raven figures it out that they opened the box. Eventually, as the egg hatches and the Twin Destroyers turn into a giant two-headed monster, which pops out of the ocean and heads down to Jump City. Raven can't banish the monster now as the one who unpower them with love can only defeat him, and suggests Starfire to be mean to them, which she can't afford it.
The Titans assemble into the Titan Robot (via "The Left Leg" style) and go after the Twin Destroyers. They eventually almost defeat the monster, but when Cyborg orders Starfire for a final leg kick, she caresses the monster's face instead, making it stronger again, and it destroys the Titan Robot. The Titans had trapped inside the robot, and they have no other options but to beg for Starfire's help after the right leg gets ripped off the robot by the monster. Starfire attempts to argue the Twin Destroyers with mean insults and bad compliments, which it made the monster shrink and separates their bodies back to their original size, losing their powers and feelings for Starfire. The Titans escape out of the robot as Raven is also proud of Starfire for trying to be a cold and mean person to cutest things she couldn't handle. But when the Twin Destroyers want at least to remember Starfire's kisses, Starfire kisses them again, and Titans can do no more than watch in horror saying, "Nooo!", knowing that they'll become the two-headed monster again.
- This is the second time that the sun has a face with a mustache. The first was "Nose Mouth."
- This episode contradicts "Breakfast Cheese" and "Friendship".
- This episode aired 10 years after the original series episode "X".
- This episode aired during John DiMaggio's 46th birthday.
- This is the 1st episode with rain.
- The Telepics played during the montage when Starfire and the three boys played with the Twin Destroyers is called "High and Low".
- The Titan Robot, which was created in the episode "The Left Leg" reappears. Also, the upgrades Robin installs into the left leg in that episode still remain part of the robot.
- Both times, one of the "legs" was complaining.
- Starfire refused to lie to Raven. This once again supports her claim in "Starliar" she cannot lie.
- At the end of the episode, the same scream from "Colors of Raven" could be heard.
- We could see Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman's faces on a photo booth.
- Cyborg calls Robin leg sword a "Legsaber," which is like a lightsaber from the Star Wars franchise.
- The bomb that Starfire tried to diffuse with hugs and kisses was apparently left there by the Joker from "The Dark Knight" movie, if the graffiti on its side is an indicator of who set it.
- At the end, Starfire says a Yo Mamma joke to the Twin Destroyers of Azarath, stating that their mom is so fat, she needs to eat veggies.
- This is the first episode that has had a preview that was released accidentally before its official airdate.
- When the Titan Robot made the Sonic Blast, all the windows broke. However, in the next scene, the windows are all repaired.
- The pink "Azarath Twin" could not speak English in the beginning of the episode. However, later it could speak English perfectly well.
- This could mean that the twin could speak both, but just resorted to not speaking English at the start of the episode.
- The green twin nose changes to the color pink when they were crying about being put into the box.
- For a few seconds when Raven seriously tells Starfire to not open the box, the tone sorta changes darker, in the rest of the episode, It goes back to the lighter tone.
- Even though Starfire says so, Raven is not seen crossing her arms and turning away in any episodes to date.
- Starfire loving everything.
- Starfire not being able to be mean.
The transcript for "Love Monsters" can be found here.
|The image gallery for Love Monsters may be viewed here.|