The Titans want to be the scariest trick-or-treaters in town, so Raven casts a spell to turn them into real monsters.
The episode starts when the Teen Titans are watching the sun go down by the window...waiting for Halloween to begin...as soon as the sun goes down...the Titans cheer. Robin then announces that it is now the scariest night of the year...HALLOWEEN!!!!! But there is only one thing that they were confused about...what are they going to dress up as??? They last recalled that one Halloween where they dressed up in childish costumes such as a witch and a clown. Then Cyborg came in with a box filled with...cheap plastic costumes of scary monsters. They all were very sad. They didn't want to end up trick or treating without a costume. Raven then had an idea. She casts a spell to turn all of the Titans into real monsters!!!!! At last when the spell is complete...it turned all of the Titans into some of the most popular monsters of the century...Cyborg into Frankenstein (nicknamed himself Karl just for fun) Beast Boy into a werewolf...Robin a vampire...Starfire a mummy (which she mistakes for "mommy") and Raven...THE INVISIBLE WOMAN!!!!! She scared her fellow freaky-fabulous monster friends in utter pain. Suddenly...all of the monster Titans fight to see who was the most scary...they showed off their claws and fangs until Starfire...who thinks she is the scariest...shouted "BOO!"...but it didn't really scare anybody. Now that they're in their scary attire...Robin then proclaims that its time to scare some kids!!!!! He then shouted his catchphrase with a scary twist...and all of the Titans flew out of the window with a corresponding "blah blah blah" from Robin.
Meanwhile in the streets of Jump City, the new and improved Titan monsters sashayed and scared all of the citizens of their city, rapping their national scary anthem (with Robin and Raven literally SLAYING) At last, after their big scary rendezvous, Robin announced that it has come to a conclusion that they're now the scariest trick or treaters in Jump City all thanks to their friend Raven (followed with a 'blah blah blah'). They all cheered with happiness until all of a sudden, the Titan monsters heard a rumble coming from the Tower. Ravens cauldron was shaking and unexpected visitors preached, and stole the show. Raven told the others about the warning that she said earlier about this thing called the "ghost pocalypse". unfortunately, Cyborg said that Raven did not say anything about no "ghost pocalypse". Raven argued that she was trying to be you know, spooky. Robin then sided with Raven saying that if they cannot stop the ghosts, they will scare everyone in Jump City forever. But the only way that they can scare them is with there new and improved monsterific style. So they tried...but even in their monster forms...they still got very scared. Robin said that it wasn't working. Raven then agreed and said that they were not meant to be monsters anyway...but then Starfire had a brilliant plan...why not use their old "cheap" looking costumes from the dollar store to scare the ghosts???
So...with all of the guts that the Titans have...they managed to scare the ghosts with their adorableness. But after the ghosts got defeated, a HUGE form of the ghosts tried to scare them...but then...the Titans managed to scare the big ghost too. At last, without their boos and hoos...the Titans were ready to enjoy their Halloween...even if they weren't so "scary"...they still were the most adorable trick or treaters in Jump City. So they took all of the candy and had a complete sugar rush for the rest of Halloween...Happy Halloween everyone from the Teen Titans!!!!!
- This is the fifth Halloween episode of the series. The previous ones were "Halloween", "Scary Figure Dance", "Halloween v Christmas" and "Costume Contest".
- This is also the twenty-fourth overall holiday episode of the series.
- When Starfire is an actual mummy, the baby she has with her appears to be Tamaranian.
- The werewolf that Beast Boy transforms into looks like the one from "Halloween" and "Halloween v Christmas", only with the fur and clothing colors changed.
- In a past Halloween, Raven was wearing her clown nose from "The Return of Slade".
- Raven is seen unhooded for the 79th time.
- The ending from "Scary Figure Dance" appears again.
- Each Titan symbolizes a popular monster:
- Robin as Dracula
- Raven as The Invisible (Wo)man
- Beast Boy as a werewolf
- Starfire as a mummy
- Cyborg as Frankenstein's monster.
- Robin says "Blah blah blah", which is same line Dracula says from the Hotel Transylvania films. (lies)
- When Robin as a vampire flies up in the sky, his silhouette against the moon looks like the Batman logo. He is also parodying a scene with the Batwing from the 1989 Batman movie.
- The Invisible Man from the H.G. Wells book is naked in much of the story to best utilize his invisibility. Raven, as the Invisible Woman, strips naked a few times to show others that she's completely invisible. By coincidence, it was suggested earlier in the episode that the Titans went trick-or-treating naked one year.
- The title "Monster Squad" may be a reference to the 1976 television series, which was about monsters fighting crime and super villains. The show had a campiness that was similar to Adam West's Batman series.
- It could also be a reference to the 1987 horror comedy film The Monster Squad, which was about a group of kids who goes up against Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolfman, the Mummy, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.
- While Raven is standing over the cauldron saying her incantation, her left arm is missing.
- In the "Pyramid Scheme" episode, Starfire knew more about mummies, like that they come from pyramids. In this episode, she confuses mummies with "mommies".
- In the previous Halloween episode "Costume Contest", the Titans stole the H.I.V.E. Five's outfits as theirs. In this episode, nonetheless, they seem to have forgotten that the costumes they wore last Halloween.
- Robin saying "Blah blah blah" like Eustace Bagge.
- The Titans describing their plastic costumes as "cheap" and "old".
- Starfire saying "boo!" as her mummy noise.
- As actual monsters, the Titans terrorize the trick-or-treating trio that is most often seen in these Halloween episodes.
The transcript for "Monster Squad" can be found here.
|The image gallery for Monster Squad may be viewed here.|