When Cyborg and Beast Boy teach the others to wolf down their food, the group must battle their own obesity when they follow Cyborg and Beast Boy's lead of eating too fast.
The episode begins with the Titans having a formal dinner, savoring every bite of their food. However, Cyborg devours the entire sandwich in one shot without even biting. The Titans watch in disgust. Robin shudders and said that he didn't even used his teeth. Cyborg got confused, as he had never heard the word "teeth" before. However, Beast Boy tells him that they were probably speaking about their "smile bones." Cyborg asks who calls smile bones "teeth." Beast Boy points out that they were people who "did not know how to eat", because they were chewing their food. Raven said that they were inhaling their food, but Beast Boy pointed this out by inhaling all of the Titans' food and plates. Starfire wanted to try inhaling the food but chokes, and spits the bit into Raven's mouth. Beast Boy congratulates her, and says that the point of eating is getting as much food in your belly as quickly as possible.
However, Robin points out that the point of eating is cherishing every bite, because food not only gives life, it is life. He tells them that he doesn't want them to end up with a "belly". A voice then asks what's wrong with a beautiful belly, which startles Robin, and asks who wants to challenge him. However, it is Beast Boy's belly, who says that their bellies are nothing compared to them, and Beast Boy tries to calm his belly down. Raven says that it's disgusting. Cyborg asks if he is challenging them before Starfire greets the bellies, saying that she has nine bellies, but none speak. Robin explains that they were just squeezing their fat around to make it look like they were talking, but Beast Boy's belly asks who he is calling fat, and called him shorty. Robin screams to him that he is the average height for a male of his age, and warns them that they may be talking with their bellies now, but later, the bellies will speak for them. Beast Boy's belly is about to insult him, but Robin quietens them, and advises them to take small bites and cherish each moment, and use their teeth. Cyborg's belly tells them that they are called Smile Bones, and they are the ones that do not know how to eat. Beast Boy's belly tells Robin that he could try to slowly enjoy and savor their food if they can.
The next day...
Beast Boy and Cyborg start pranking the other Titans by inhaling all their food when they try to eat, from cereal and sandwiches to popcorn, bowls and vases.
Subsequently, while Beast Boy and Cyborg are complimenting their big bellies, the Titans come and beg them for food. Beast Boy asks why didn't they ask them sooner, and throws a pizza to them. The Titans then compliment the pizza, saying how much they would enjoy it, but Cyborg and Beast Boy eat everything before they can dig in. Cyborg tells them that they are complimenting their food before even eating, and Beast Boy says they eat too slow. Raven then gives up and asks them how to eat the right way, but Robin reminds her of getting a "belly". However, Starfire also gives up, and Robin begins to ask them if they are ready to give up because of a little hunger. However, Robin gives up before finishing the sentence.
Later in the backyard, the Titans line up with their bellies outside, while Cyborg and Beast Boy complain about the bellies as they examined them. When they ask what they have to say for themselves, they tell them to speak with their bellies. They all do except for Starfire's who does not know how. Cyborg acknowledges that they have a lot of work to do.
Cyborg and Beast Boy then ask the others to turn in their smile bones, and Robin asks if they are going to store them in a sanitary place, and Cyborg says yes, because they are in a bucket. Then a training montage begins.
One training montage later...
The Titans earn medals for learning to eat right, and Beast Boy returns their smile bones. However, they receive the wrong ones, so they exchange. Cyborg asks the bellies feel now, and they all answered that they wanted to eat. However, the bellies get into an argument over who is the bigger belly, and thus the leader. Then they settle on one solution: to belly up.
One eat-off later...
All the Titans complain that they could not eat any more, for their bellies can not take any more. Beast Boy and Cyborg laugh, because their bellies are much, much bigger than theirs. However, it was not them who laughed, it was their bellies. The Titans don't believe them until their bellies start growing arms, legs and a face. Robin says "The Belly" is happening. They gave too much power to their bellies, and they are now taking control. The bellies are now fully humanoid-like, and they say that they should go search for more food. The Titans say that their obsession of food was controlling them and there is only one way to stop it: to make them enjoy their food, but before they can take care of their bellies, they had to take care of theirs.
The Bellies are rampaging the town, eating everything they can find. From sandwiches and tacos, to hundreds of bags of popcorn, to thousands of hot dogs, to even a goat and a pig.
Their bellies have grown skyscraper-size, eating thousands of food items. They say that there is tons of food, and that this earth would be very easy to control. Cyborg and Beast Boy say that it is getting out of hand, and that they need help. The Titans then appear, and say that they are going to teach the bellies how to eat. Raven and Starfire go to both bellies to give Cyborg and Beast Boy a decent meal. As they start eating it bite to bite, their Bellies begin to shrink, to the point that they were to their ordinary size. Robin says that he hopes everyone learned a lesson of savoring their food, and Beast Boy and Cyborg agree. Robin says that there is one more thing: "BIGGEST BELLY IS IN CHARGE!" As Robin reveals that he still has his belly, the episode ends.
- Beast Boy
- Susan (cameo)
- Belly Bros (debut; only appearance)
- Pizza Deliverer (debut, cameo)
- This episode aired one year after "Waffles."
- When Raven removes her "smile bones," she is shown to have rather fairly long and sharp canine teeth, referring to the fact that she is of demon origin.
- This is the third episode which involves the Titans dealing with a cause of obesity. It previously happened in "Double Trouble" and "Vegetables".
- This is the fourth time one of Robin's ridiculous warnings turns out to be correct. It also occurs in "Parasite", "Sandwich Thief", and "Hose Water".
- This is the fifteenth time that Raven is seen unhooded.
- This is the Little Girl's first appearance in Season 2 and her first appearance since "Lazy Sunday".
- Raven is revealed to have a six-pack, and she kept that six-pack since "Vegetables".
- It's revealed that Cyborg has had his smile bones since the beginning of the show and Beast Boy keeps his since he lost his REAL teeth by shattering them when he tried to open a pickle jar in "No Power".
- Cyborg and Beast Boy "vacuuming" up food might be a reference to Kirby, who does a similar thing.
- Starfire is shown having nine stomachs, which her species were established to have in the original Teen Titans series episode "Mother Mae-Eye".
- The Belly Bros at the theater and seeing food dancing is a reference to "Let's All Go to the Lobby", a 1953 animated musical snipe played as an advertisement before the beginning of a main film.
- "Belly Bros" was also the name of the very first episode of Uncle Grandpa.
- Cyborg and Beast Boy's ''belly talk", the same thing Chowder did from the Chowder episode called "The Rat Sandwich".
- The Belly Bros’ spherical appearance and unique accents may be a reference to the titular creatures of the Countryballs and Countryhumans franchise, due to the fact that the three of them have a spherical head and are anthropomorphic.
- Cyborg and Beast Boy have referred to teeth by their proper name before, as they did in "Legendary Sandwich".
- Also in "Legendary Sandwich", Cyborg commented that Beast Boy couldn't eat the sandwich without any teeth, even though in this episode they had devised a method to eat without using their teeth.
- Beast Boy once again eats meat, despite claiming to be a vegetarian.
- After Cyborg and Beast Boy's stomachs have taken them over and walked away, Starfire is shown laying on the ground with one stomach instead of nine.
- Also Starfire should have been able to eat more, and easily outnumber everyone, even on Cyborg and Beast Boy, due to the fact that Starfire has 9 stomachs. As shown in the hot dog eating contest from the episode "Laundry Day”, Starfire ate more hot dogs than everyone else and continued to eat, and did not show signs of becoming full.
- When Beast Boy had teeth, he had the normal shape of his teeth rather than the fangs.
- When Marly Halpern Glaser, this episode's writer, is credited, his last name is misspelled "Graser".
- Beast Boy and Cyborg "wolfing down" the food that they eat.
The transcript for "Smile Bones" can be found here.
|The image gallery for Smile Bones may be viewed here.|