Princess Koriand'r, more commonly known as Starfire, is a member of the Teen Titans and one of the five main protagonists of Teen Titans Go!. Although this intergalactic princess has trouble adapting to Earth life, she makes up for it with her cute looks, good-natured demeanor, and devastating superpowers courtesy of her kind and experiments by the Psion scientists.
Originating from the distant planet of Tamaran, Princess Koriand'r had a promising future ahead of her; she was next in line to reign as a queen. However, as seen in the episode Mr Butt, this caused a bitter rivalry between Koriand'r and her older and unfit-to-rule sister, Blackfire. When they were kids, Blackfire merely stole toys from her, but as they grew older, she helped to imprison Koriand'r...
After escaping from her captives, the Tamaranian flew to Earth, a very peculiar place to her. In the episode "Flashback", a superhero named Robin found Starfire (the name she was now going by) trying to eat a cat, who she thought was an Earth delicacy. Although he found her strange, Robin was captivated by the alien's power AND beauty, and so he gave her an audition to his new teen superhero team. At first, displaying complete incompetence and no self-discipline, Starfire and the other rejects eventually found their way onto the newly formed Teen Titans.
A member of the team ever since, Starfire has been trying to fight crime and adjusting to Earth life with as much optimism and cheerfulness as she can.
"Starfire is an alien struggling to fit in and learn the ways of Earth while driving Robin insane with unrequited puppy love."
Having been raised in an entirely different alien culture, Starfire has had trouble understanding Earth's ways. She has not even been able to fully comprehend English grammar or figures of speech yet; she does things like say the word "the" before most nouns. This causes her problems in episodes like "Knowledge". Starfire's constantly doing strange activities, and while the Titans try to set her on the correct course, they will occasionally take advantage of her naivety. For example, they tricked her into believing in another Christmas in "Second Christmas". She is also seen licking her pet Silkie in certain episodes as a way to "bathe" him.
The warmongering ways of Tamaran have also influenced Starfire, as she occasionally turns very violent. For instance, towards the end of "Starfire the Terrible", she was nearly about to execute Robin as if it were just another errand. Also, Starfire gravely wounded all four Titans in the episode "La Larva de Amor" after they briefly lost her pet, Silkie. Despite appearing very innocent and harmless, there is no doubt that she has an extremely vicious side to her personality. In fact, not only when incensed she can be rather menacing by resorting to using extortion (such as blackmailing Superman with a Kryptonite in "Fat Cats"), but she actually is also incapable of taking criticism very well (namely in "Real Art" when she, along with Rainbow Raider, trapped her four friends in the art gallery only because they gave her cat painting harsh criticism).
Most of the time, however, Starfire is extremely loving and warmhearted. Deeply caring for her teammates, she considers them her best friends (although Robin is always seeking more from her). She even treats her enemies with kindness, as seen in "Breakfast Cheese". As the epitome of goodness, Starfire often contrasts the usually aggressive Titans with her tenderness and affection.
Unlike the more traditional, more modest superhero outfits, Starfire dresses in a revealing two-piece suit, consisting of a purple crop top and miniskirt. She wears a pair of long boots, with stars on the soles. As a fan of sparkly stuff, Starfire compliments her apparel with a set of silver, gem-studded gauntlets, an emerald necklace, and a gray armband on her upper-left arm. With stunning green eyes, long, feminine eyelashes, and a beautiful smile, many teenage heroes have a hard time keeping their eyes off of Starfire (especially Robin). Her skin is slightly tan, and she keeps her gorgeous hot pink hair very long and flowing beautiful, with bangs just above her eyebrows and off to the sides of her face. As shown in "Legendary Sandwich", Starfire's long hair is exceedingly important to her, and anyone who dares to mess it up is in some SERIOUS trouble...
To see a list of Starfire's outfits and attire in the series, visit this page.
Powers and Abilities
Although she prefers peace and using words to solve conflicts, Starfire's Tamaranian background grants her devastating superpowers that demolish anyone who pushes her over the edge. Because she has so many powers, only her main ones are listed below. To see a full list, click here.
Tamaranian Physiological Abilities
- Flight: The people of Tamaran are able to harness ultraviolet light energy and use it for many abilities, one of them being flight.
- Speed: Starfire can travel ten times faster than the speed of light, granting her the ability of time travel in the episode "Gorilla".
- Superhuman Strength: Even the strongest humans are no match for Starfire's strength, as she is able to smash through concrete walls and lift cars with ease.
- Superhuman Durability: Many injuries that would kill a normal human have little to no effect on Starfire, including crushing, getting shot, and even radiation.
- Outer-Space Adaption: As seen in "Legendary Sandwich," she can survive while in space without the need for a spacesuit.
Abilities Acquired by Experimentation
- Ultraviolet Energy Projection: After being experimented on by alien Psion scientists, Starfire gained the ability to shoot a variety of green ultraviolet energy beams, which she calls Starbolts and are capable of melting metal.
- Eye-Beams: In many episodes, she shoots lasers from her eyes.
- Starbolt Shower: As seen in "Mr. Butt", Starfire can summon Starbolts from the heavens.
- Energy Blast
- Energy Ball Projection
- Energy Bolt Projection
- Energy Wave Emission
- Omnidirectional Energy Waves
- Wave Motion Blast
- Optic Blasts
- Hand Blasts
- Energy Constructs
- Green Fire Generation: Starfire can also bring forth green fire, first shown in "Open Door Policy". She had created a huge, green campfire in "Campfire!" which had destroyed half of the forest and tent.
- Telekinesis: In Second Christmas, Starfire raised her hands, causing a green and white light and more than 4 snowballs to emerge from the ground.
- Alien Martial Arts: The Warlords of Okaara trained Starfire in advanced alien melee combat.
- Agility: Starfire's speed powers also operate on the micro-level; she can maneuver around opponents with ease.
- Insta-Language Acquisition: Starfire can learn, understand and speak any language instantly through lip contact—she learned English by kissing Robin.
- Expert Swordsmanship: Although she usually enters battle without a weapon, Starfire has occasionally proven herself with a sword, such as when she defended her homeworld in "Tamaranian Vacation". Also, she expertly sliced Cyborg in half in "Power Moves".
- Martial Arts: She is skilled in the Earth martial art of ninjutsu (忍術), shown in "The Art of Ninjutsu".
- Music: She can play the melodica ("Multiple Trick Pony"), the saxophone ("Teen Titans Go! to the Movies", "Teen Titans Go! vs Teen Titans"), the jug ("How's This for a Special? Spaaaace"), and the piano ("Booty Scooty") skillfully.
- Making war drones: In "Kabooms", despite she does do unintentionally, it is shown that she's able to make dangerous war drones.
- Rollerblading: As shown in "Jam", Starfire is skillful in rollerblading, specifically when she is synchronized with Raven.
While Starfire often wears different outfits and apparel, sometimes she can be seen assuming entirely new personas and forms in the series. Only her significant versions are listed below—the rest can be found here.
For more detailed information about Starfire, check out these subpages:
- Episodes Focusing on Starfire
- Songs Sung by Starfire
- Death Experiences
- Voices In Other Languages
- DC Comic Presents #26, published in October 1980, was the first ever appearance of Starfire.
- In addition to voicing Starfire in both the 2003 and 2013 series, Hynden Walch also voices her in DC Super Hero Girls, the New Teen Titans animated shorts, and the DC Super Friends webseries.
- Since the 2003 Teen Titans series, Starfire has undergone a few changes:
- Her hair color has gone from red to hot pink, and now it flows down to her ankles (originally only reaching to her waist). However, in some Season 5 episodes, her hair appears to look more red than pink.
- Her tongue was grayish-violet in the original series; now it is pink.
- The armband she wears has gone from her right to her left arm.
- She has a less curvaceous figure in Teen Titans Go!.
- She rarely shows romantic feelings for Robin, only liking him as a friend/brother figure.
- Starfire is now more prone to turn extremely hostile.
- She tends to say the word "the" a lot.
- Her tendency to add an excessive amount of “the” (or occasionally “of”) in her sentences is to emphasize her being an immigrant.
- "Starfire", her earth name, is an English translation of her Tamaranian name, "Koriand'r", with "Kori" meaning "Star" and "and'r" meaning "fire".
- She is the only titan who has no human DNA whatsoever.
- Many episodes depict Starfire with an abnormal love for cats.
- In the comics, Starfire's species is descended from cat aliens; her love for cats could be a reference to this.
- Starfire will often use words from her native Tamaranian language, such as "bumgorf" (term of endearment), "g'lufnog" (bless you), and glorborger (cuss word).
- "Smile Bones" re-reveals that she has nine stomachs, a fact originally mentioned in Teen Titans.
- Whenever she is confused or needs advice, such as in "Girl's Night Out" or "Missing", Starfire often turns to Raven for help instead of the team leader, Robin (whom she usually sought after in Teen Titans).
- Previously ignoring Starfire in the original series, Robin now has a passionate love for her. Unfortunately for him, Starfire is now the one disregarding him in Teen Titans Go!. Whenever she does admit to loving Robin, it is usually a cruel joke. Very few instances of Starfire actually returning her feeling towards him exist in the new series:
- In "Starfire the Terrible", she gets jealous of Robin's love for the moon, however, when that happened, Robin was thinking of her or pretending that the moon was her, much to her misunderstanding.
- During "Let's Get Serious", Starfire briefly admires Robin's looks.
- Starfire can be seen swooning with a emotion at the sight of his face in "The Mask".
- In "Mouth Hole", she actually falls in love with Robin. They are even about to kiss, but the episode ends before they can.
- Interestingly, in "Robin Backwards", Starfire has a crush on Nibor, Robin's Bizzaro counterpart, while Erifrats, Starfire's Bizzaro counterpart, has a crush on Robin.
- According to Robin in the episodes "I See You" and "Serious Business", Starfire smells like strawberries.
- Starfire has escaped prison twice:
- When Starfire is crying in the episode "Knowledge", viewers can see that she wears eyeliner.
- Her "puppy-dog look" from the previous cartoon is still very effective in getting her what she wants.
- Ignorant of Silkie's mutant moth species, Starfire settles on calling him "the Silkie".
- Starfire has difficulty lying in many episodes such as "Love Monsters", so Beast Boy taught her how to successfully swindle people in "Starliar".
- According issue #28 in the Teen Titans Go! comic series, Starfire is a One Direction fan.
- Coming from a culture very different from Earth's, Starfire often does very peculiar things, such as:
- Licking Silkie ("Missing")
- Drinking mustard ("No Power", "Kabooms")
- Drinking fish water ("Fish Water")
- Cooking chili in a toilet ("Serious Business")
- Offering the Titans gross food (many episodes)
- Becoming friends with an Ice Cream Scoop ("The Scoop!")
- Chewing a tea bag ("Hot Salad Water")
- Jumping into a well ("Mo' Money Mo' Problems")
- Mistaking a skunk as a "forest kitty" ("Tall Titan Tales")
- Choosing to be the "basket case", wearing a basket and acting weird ("Forest Pirates")
- Starfire has an interest in being able to speak like an Earth teenager (revealed in "Dog Hand").
- In Season 1, Her personality is more sweet, naïve, and caring about her friends and silkie. Later seasons has her personality reverted into more serious side, and acts the same behavior like the rest of the Titans.
- It is revealed in "The Return of Slade" that Starfire was extremely afraid of clowns, but in the end, her fear had soon transformed into a hatred.
- Though occasionally (such as in "Batman's Birthday Gift"), she still displays signs of fear towards clowns.
- Even though she could not properly sew in "Laundry Day", Starfire is seen knitting in "Gorilla" and "Meatball Party", and somehow, she even crafted her own villain costume in "Starfire the Terrible".
- In "The True Meaning of Christmas", both Starfire and Raven enjoy the smell and taste of gingerbread.
- Having only appeared in an original Teen Titans Go! comic so far, it is unknown whether Ryand'r (Wildfire), Starfire's brother, will appear in the series.
- Although Starfire shares many powers with Superman, she also has noticeable similarities with Son Goku(孫悟空) from the Dragon Ball franchise, including their personality, origin stories, and abilities.
- "Stockton, CA!" reveals that she wears pink toe nail polish.
- In the early episodes, her voice sounds a bit low-pitched, like her 2003 counterpart. Starting the second season, her voice sounds higher-pitched and younger.
- In "Teen Titans Go! vs Teen Titans", her subconscious mind is revealed to be a girly and peaceful fantasy, where a unicorn and some kittens reside.
- "Butt Atoms" shows she wears pink panties, unlike the original show's purple underwear.
- She was absent in “That's What's Up!”, “Crab Shenanigans”, “Brobots”, “Brain Flip”, “Magic Man”, “Various Modes of Transportation”, “A Doom Patrol Thanksgiving” and “A Holiday Story”.
- There are several slight physical alterations of Starfire's face starting in Season 5:
- Her hair is now a darker pink/fuchsia/magenta.
- Her bangs have changed style slightly.
- Her eyebrows are spread apart further and slightly smaller.
- Her eyes are slightly bigger.
- Her ears change shape drastically, changing from longer to rounder oval.
- Her skin color is slightly darker.
|The image gallery for Starfire may be viewed here.|
- Official DC Comics bio, https://www.dccomics.com/characters/starfire
- Official CARTOON NETWORK bio, https://www.cartoonnetwork.com/shows/teen-titans-go/characters/index.html
- Teen Titans Wiki bio, Starfire
- Official DC Comics bio, https://www.dccomics.com/characters/starfire
- Wikipedia bio, Hynden Walch