Envious of the other Titans’ powers, Robin wants some of his own. After a disastrous scientific experiment goes haywire, he convinces Raven to use her magic to give him superpowers.
takes on Gizmo, Raven takes on See-More, Beast Boy takes on Jinx, and Robin takes on Mammoth. Starfire, Cyborg, Raven, and Beast Boy each take out their respective villains with ease because of their use of their superpowers. They all offer to help Robin with Mammoth, but he refuses, and they all wait for him as they eat hot dogs. Robin does defeat Mammoth, but with much
struggle and to the point of exhausting himself.
They return to the Tower and Robin complains how they have it so easy because of their superpowers. All of them then tell him how much of a curse their powers are (except for Starfire, who says she's making meatloaf). Robin then tries to fuse himself with an actual robin bird to give him powers due to the fact that Cyborg had told him that guys like him only gained powers in freak accidents. The robin gets the abilities and gadgets of Robin and Robin just turns into a bird-man, but didn't get any actual powers
He reveals himself to the other Titans, saddened because it didn't work. Raven says she will give him powers, despite what
she and the other Titans (excluding Starfire) kept on saying to him about having powers a curse to him, but only if he does the chicken dance (which the other Titans had wanted too). Robin does it and Raven gives him powers. He leaves for a few seconds and returns, having solved all the world's problems and made meatloaf for dinner. This causes the Teen Titans to be disbanded because they are no longer needed.
After, Robin applies for a normal job. It then goes to Robin a bit in the future,
where his life is boring and sad and he misses his friends and being a Teen Titan. Eventually, it shows Robin near death in a hospital because of his old age and finally realizing that his powers really were a curse. It ends with the other Titans, also very old, sort of rubbing it in his face that superpowers are a curse. Then the lights fade out, and we can hear Robin's ECG flatten, as we know he has kicked the bucket, right after Raven reiterates "cuuuuuuurse".
- Beast Boy
- H.I.V.E. Five (debut)
- Elderly Teen Titans
- Generic Jump City Citizens
- Unnamed Employer
- Super Robin (debut)
- Trigon (mentioned)
- Black Manta (cameo)
- This is the first time Raven mentions her father, Trigon.
- This episode contradicts the events of "Staring at the Future", where the Titans do not break up.
- A possible resolution could be that Robin was simply imagining what life would be like with powers, or it was a vision given to him by Raven.
- Each Titan, except for Starfire, mentions having superpowers as a curse, and for good reasons:
- Raven is a half demon
- Beast Boy has green skin
- Cyborg is trapped in his robotic suit
- Putting the Titans out of jobs, and losing his purpose in life is Robin's curse.
- Starfire probably doesn't think her powers are a curse, because all Tamaranians have powers.
- Robin's chicken dance in this episode was nominated for the 2014 Hall of Game Awards category "Best Victory Dance".
- Raven was allergic to chickens in the original series, but apparently isn't in the reboot.
- In his dirty apartment, the overweight middle-aged Robin has made the Titans out of several inanimate objects. (Starfire is a mop with her face on it, Raven is a bean bag chair, Cyborg is a broom with a sweater and bucket, Beast Boy is a crudely spray-painted cat, Silkie is made out of a flour bag and forks).
- Interestingly middle-aged Robin took the train even though he possessed super speed and flight.
- Raven doesn't seem to be embarrassed about watching Pretty Pretty Pegasus in front of her friends anymore.
- In UK airings of this episode, the episode is edited to end right after old Beast Boy and Cyborg make fun of old Robin.
- Cyborg implies he used to have real limbs, which is consistent with his original backstory and what is said in "Tower Power", but contrasts what was said in "Dog Hand" about him being born that way.
- Beast Boy being a painted green cat refers to what he confesses to doing in "Dude Relax".
- As first revealed in "Dog Hand", Raven is able to grant superpowers to others.
- This is the third time one of the Titans has died. The first time in "Laundry Day" and "Ghostboy".
- In addition, this is the second time Robin dies.
- This is Jinx, Gizmo, and Mammoth's second appearance in the show.
- Robin basically gained the powers of Superboy (Kryptonian powers plus tactile telekinesis), and even gains Superman's trademark hair curl to commemorate his new powers.
- Robin has a picture of the Titans tying up the Aquaman villain, Black Manta.
- Robin's lab accident is a reference to the 1958 science-fiction horror film, The Fly.
- When Robin is in the office messing around, he makes a Batman symbol out of staples and sticky note art that is basically a serpent with the Joker's head.
- The ending of this episode is a reversal of the fates of the Titans in the original show episode "How Long is Forever?" (all of them are alone because of Starfire's disappearance). This time the Titans abandon Robin due to his ego and no use for having to work with him because he has powers and solved all the world's problems.
- Beast Boy as an elderly man bears a huge resemblance to Yoda from Star Wars.
- After giving Robin super powers, Raven told him that "with great power comes, even greater responsibility", a paraphrased quote from Spider-Man.
- In "25 years", Robin is still wearing his costume instead of becoming Nightwing.
- When Cyborg is about to fire his arm cannon at Gizmo, his head is oddly shaped.
- Robin is surprised that Raven can grant superpowers, even though Trigon had revealed this in "Dog Hand". Though it's possible that Robin forgot.
- In this episode, Mammoth is bigger than he is in later appearances.
- According to the comics, Tamaraneans age more slowly than human beings. So future Starfire shouldn't be as noticeably elderly as the other future Titans.
- Robin lays eggs in this episode, despite the fact that Robin is a male.
- Starfire irrelevantly bringing up meatloaf.
- The Super Robin continuously showing up and stealing the Titans' stuff, which carries on for the rest of the series.
- Robin doing the Chicken dance.
The transcript for "Super Robin" can be found here.
|The image gallery for Super Robin may be viewed here.|